Bean noodles are very high in protein and fiber. They are a great alternative to traditional gluten free pastas, which are usually made from corn, rice, and soy. The black bean noodles taste like traditional pasta to me, and this recipe has the perfect sauce for them. The dark color of the pasta goes well with the bright color of the sauce.
1 package black bean noodles
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon finely grated, fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup red chard, thinly sliced
1-1/2 teaspoons coconut sugar
2 teaspoons tamari (soy-sauce)
1-1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
Cook the black bean pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Warm a wok or deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the coconut oil, onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is translucent and soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the bell pepper and carrot and cook until they are fork tender, 3 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and red chard to the pan, along with 1/2 cup water and coconut sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the peppers, carrots and chard have softened to your liking.
- Remove curry from heat and add rice vinegar and tamari. Add salt to taste. Top black bean pasta with curry and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Michelle