Tempeh is a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and fermentation process that binds the soybeans into a cake form. The fermentation process reduces the phytic acid in soy, which in turn allows the body to absorb the minerals that soy provides making it the healthier alternative to tofu.
Have you jumped on the bone broth bandwagon? Bone broth has become trendy and popular in food circles lately, but you may be surprised to learn that this food has traditionally been used as a health tonic for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine, and other cultures.
Working in health food stores for several years, I have heard a lot of confusion amongst customers regarding the differences between the various forms of supplemental and baking yeasts. These include nutritional yeast, brewer’s yeast, and baker’s yeast, popularly referred to as dry active yeast, or instant yeast.
It is so easy to make a delicious and nutritious smoothie these days, it just takes a little practice, and willingness to try! Smoothies are really hard to screw up, thankfully we have many delicious super foods readily available that we can add to help us make up for the lack of nutrition in our typical daily diets. (more…)
According to the World Health Organization, only 5% of daily caloric intake needs to be protein. The National Academy of Science recommends that we take 10-15% of our total calories from protein. Some national health and fitness organizations recommend 20% or more calories in the form of protein during times of heavy training. Getting enough protein is easy.
The 3 added super foods in this “go green” smoothie are not greens in the most common or traditional sense, they are concentrated supplements from outstanding green ingredients that provide optimal energy and nutrition from unique sources. (more…)
This was the smoothie I made after getting home from my trip to the holistic dentist. The only procedure I had done was a cleaning, and the techniques they use minimize bacteria and inflammation, but it is always good to support the body’s healing and cleansing processes as much as possible.
Yes, you read that right! This was just a random combination of ingredients I threw together one morning, and I was pleasantly surprised when the first sip I took tasted like chocolate cake batter! It has been decades since I have tasted actual chocolate cake batter, so maybe I am delusional. But no matter what you want to call it, it was delicious!
I love black beans, and I love rice and bean combos. They are such simple ingredients providing such an awesome “net gain” of nutrition, especially for the price. Black beans are high in quality protein, and vitamins and minerals like folate, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese. Plus, a very good source of dietary fiber.
Have you purchased a protein bar (or 2 or 3 or 4) that by the description and ingredient listing, seemed like the perfect delicious snack, only to open it and take your first bite, and the taste does not meet your expectations? Now what? Throw the expensive protein bar away? Scarf it down so it “doesn’t go to waste”? We have the perfect solution:
I am always surprised when I tell someone I don’t eat dairy or meat that they still ask: “Where do you get your calcium and protein from?” or “Do you eat a lot of beans and rice?” My answers nowadays: “I get those nutrients from almost every single piece of food I put in my mouth. Virtually all foods in nature have calcium and protein as part of their make up” and “I love beans and rice and eat many varieties of both fairly regularly, but maybe not anymore often than you do.”
Spirulina is a multi-celled blue-green algae that grows in semi-salty (brackish) waters. It is considered the single most nutrient-dense and nutritionally balanced of all the plants on earth. It is easy to digest, due to its thin cell wall. Chlorella is a single cell green algae with a hard cell wall. In fresh water, chlorella replicates faster than any other organism. It is the most ancient aerobic life form still found on Earth today, and is nature’s richest whole food source of chlorophyll.
The more we learn about aloe, the more we love it. Let’s look at the nutritional value of Whole Leaf Aloe Vera. Keep in mind these nutrients are found in trace amounts, but WOW this is a long list of goodness! Most consumers know aloe as a topical skin soother, many know it as a juice, or a whole-leaf juice concentrate for the savvy consumer. No matter what, think of aloe as a super food that we should ingest regularly!
20 Minutes to Fitness is a fitness studio that specializes in slow cadence and high intensity workouts. Not only is this a fantastic science based workout, but the founders, owners, and staff, are some of the nicest people you will meet.