This spiced pumpkin bread is perfect as a breakfast treat or mid-day snack. The inspiration was adapted from the pumpkin spice bread recipe in “The Joy of Vegan Baking” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. The recipe uses an egg replacement since it is vegan, but can be adapted by using 3 eggs in place of the flaxseed.
You can also make this spiced pumpkin bread using many different variations of flour including, 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, or unbleached all-purpose flour if gluten is not a concern. Almond flour can also be used.
Homemade applesauce was used in my version, but store bought can be used as well. I also cut the sugar content in half from the original recipe. If this is not enough sweetness, feel free to add more. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 standard-size loaves or 4 mini loaves
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 cup water
1 cup florida crystals (or granulated sugar, preferably organic and unbleached)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 can organic pumpkin puree
2 cups general gluten free flour (I used the all purpose from nuts.com)
1 cup cashew flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly oil two 8-inch loaf pans or four 6x3x2-inch mini-loaf pans.
- With a food processor or in a bowl using an electric hand mixer, whip the flaxseed and water together until thick and creamy. This can take 5 minutes or longer.
- Use a large bowl, stir together the sugar, applesauce, pumpkin puree, and flaxseed mixture.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients, then add them to the wet. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into 2 standard-size loaf pans or 4 mini-loaf pans.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If using mini-loaf pans, you will want to check for doneness after 30 minutes.
- Let the breads cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pans.