Goji is a fruit popular in Tibet, China and the Himalayas. This berry is said to have various beneficial properties, and those who include it in their diet are said to live a long and healthy life. As a Chinese tonic herb, for best results, they should be consumed everyday. With regular consumption, they can’t help but bring out a natural healthy glow.
In China, goji is considered to be a “beauty herb.” It is universally believed in the far east that goji berries help prevent drying and wrinkling of the skin. Goji is rich in phospholipids, the main lipid component of all cell membranes. Women are particularly fond of the influence goji has on their skin.
Need additional reasons to eat goji berries? 10 more:
- Contains most of the necessary nutrients to sustain a healthy life.
- One of the finest antioxidants available, 500 times more vitamin C per ounce than an orange, and more beta carotene than carrots.
- Contains rich amounts of dietary vitamins, monosaccharides, polyscharrides, fatty acids, linoleic acids, alpha-linoleic acids, phytosterols, beta-sitoterol, carotenoids, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, lutein, germanium, zeaxanthin, xanthopyll, lycopene, cryptoxanthin, along with calcium, potassium, selenium, zinc, and iron.
- Great source of protein (13%) – they have 18 amino acids and 21 trace minerals.
- Good tonic for treating kidney and liver problems.
- Used to help cholesterol, blood pressure, and cleansing the blood.
- Known to boost sperm production among men.
- Carry all the qualities of a truly balanced polysaccharide profile. Polysaccharides are nourishment for macrophages (large white blood cells) in the walls of the intestines. The macrophages get transported to other immune cells in the body to help build a strong immune system.
- May stimulate release of the rejuvenating human growth hormone by the pituitary gland.
- Sometimes called the “happy berry” because of its positive effect on serotonin. It is said that people who eat it regularly ”become happy, and find themselves laughing all the time.” A research study conducted in England has shown that consumption of goji berries for several months significantly enhanced people’s moods.
How do you eat goji berries? We give you 11 ways in this post.
Photo mywedding.com Sergio Photographer