Normally I am not fan of savory food flavored with orange or orange zest, so I was little hesitant to try Michelle’s Baked Orange Cauliflower with Snap Peas. She convinced me when she said she was squeezing fresh juice for the recipe, and it was just an ingredient in the sauce. I am thankful I did not pass on trying this dish, because it is delicious!!
1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
2-3 cups bread crumbs
Replacement for 4 eggs (I used 4 Tablespoons flax meal and 3/4 Cup water) You can alternately use eggs.
3/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sugar or replacement
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup tamari
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1-2 tsp sriracha to taste (and for color)
2 tbsp water + 4 tsp arrowroot
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix flax meal with water and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs into a ziploc bag. Line an extra large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip cauliflower in flax mixture and set aside.
- Take 3-4 dipped cauliflower and place into bag of breadcrumbs. Seal and shake a few times until they are completely covered in breadcrumbs. Remove and place onto baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cauliflower, adding an additional 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs to the bag whenever you run out.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until coating is a dark golden brown and crunchy.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce. Using a small saucepan, add all ingredients listed except the arrowroot and water. Bring sauce to a low boil, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, completely dissolve arrowroot in water, then add to the mixture. Stir until sauce boils again and cook until sauce thickens.
Drizzle sauce over cauliflower. Serve with freshly steamed snap peas and brown rice. Enjoy!
Recipe by Michelle